Pages

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

What I've been up to...

So what have you been up to that is sooo important that you neglect your new blog you ask? 


            Well, a whole lot and I hope to show you everything soon!


 But for now I have a confession to make...I have been playing in chalkboard paint.


It seems as if everybody has tried their hand at it.  I have been seeing everything painted with it!  From canisters, walls, doors and everything in between.  I have to say that I truly love it and have been so inspired by all the wonderful things I have seen done with it that I could seriously have something in every room painted with it.  But for now I'll just settle on the refrigerator. Yes, I said refrigerator...Yes, I know I'm crazy but check this out:




This is what it looked like before, nothing fancy and in need of being replaced by a nice BIG stainless steel one.  However, I have ZERO refrigerator funding so I decided to make it into something that I can live with for a while longer:)



  • I started by removing the hardware off the front of the refrigerator.  It was very easy, the handles just screwed right off. 
  • I gave the front a good scrub with fine grit sand paper to tone down some of the texture and also to give the paint something to adhere to. 
  • Next I taped off the edges with painters tape because I only wanted the front to be the chalkboard.
  • I then primed with Kilz oil based primer
  • Don't forget to sand in between coats! (you want it as smooth as   possible)
  • I did three coats of the chalkboard paint with a small roller brush.

I think that I like it even more without the handles so I'm just going to leave them off.

 And VOILA!

I think it turned out well and I like it so much better than before don't you:)
O yea and the kids love it too!

1 comment:

  1. YAY Johnna! I love it and I bet the rug rats eally have a blast with it. Not many kids Mommy is so understanding to build them their own chalkboard like at school!!

    ReplyDelete